Man, 78, held on suspicion of murdering ‘burglar’


A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a suspected burglar was stabbed and later died.

Police were called to a house in Hither Green, southeast London, at 12.45am to reports of a break-in in progress.

The occupant had found two males inside his home.

There were initial reports the homeowner was forced into the kitchen by one of the suspects armed with a screwdriver while the other went upstairs.

The police presence in Hither Green
Image: The police presence in Hither Green

Police said that, during a struggle, a 38-year-old man found inside the property sustained a stab injury to his upper body.

He was discovered collapsed nearby and taken to hospital but died soon after 3.30am.

Police initially arrested the 78-year-old on suspicion of grievous bodily harm but they have since rearrested him on suspicion of murder.

The scene in Hither Green where a 78-year-old man has been arrested for murdering a suspected burglar
Image: Polive have cordoned off the scene in Hither Green

A Met Police statement said: “The homeowner suffered bruising to his arms. His injuries are not life threatening.

“He was taken to a south London police station where he remains at this time.

“The second suspect in the burglary fled the scene prior to police arrival and remains outstanding.

The police presence is Hither Green
Image: Officers are carrying out inquiries

“The Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command investigate. Enquires are ongoing.”

One neighbour, who asked not to be named, said he knew the homeowner.

“He’s been retired for 26 years. I did some building work on his house a while ago, but I haven’t seen him for about three weeks,” said the neighbour.

A forensic officer in Hither Green
Image: Forensic experts have been investigating

Another neighbour told the Press Association there had been a recent spate of burglaries in the area.

The dead man’s next of kin have been informed but formal identification is yet to take place.

More from UK

A post mortem examination is expected to take place in the next few days.

Police have appealed for anyone with information to get in touch.

From – SkyNews


Comments are closed.