Passengers were finally allowed to disembark from the Costa Smeralda cruise ship this morning after tests carried out on a woman from Macau who had been onboard proved she did not have coronavirus.
Buses collected some 1,000 passengers, many wearing protective face masks, who were allowed to continue their holiday after a day and night stuck on board the cruise ship at the Italian port of Civitavecchia.
Italian passengers onboard the ship said there had been some tension as it had not been made clear what was going on.
The Costa Crociere company’s ship docked in the port north of Rome on Thursday morning, with about 6,000 people on board. The mayor of the town had asked authorities to prevent passengers from disembarking until it had been confirmed the virus was not present.
In a separate incident, Italy’s Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte announced on Thursday evening that two cases of coronavirus had been confirmed in Italy, the first in the country since the outbreak in Wuhan, China.
Two Chinese tourists who were visiting Rome had contracted the virus, Conte said. Checks were being made to reconstruct the path of the two people to avoid further risks.