The UK’s chief medical officer has warned people in Salisbury and Amesbury to not pick up “any foreign objects”.
Dame Sally Davies said any unknown objects containing liquid or gel should be avoided after the death of Dawn Sturgess, who picked up an item contaminated with the nerve agent novichok.
Dame Sally said it is “particularly important” for families to heed the advice as children start their summer holidays.
“I want to emphasise to everyone in the Salisbury and Amesbury area that nobody, adult or child, should pick up any foreign object which could contain liquid or gel, in the interests of their own safety,” she said.
“This in practice means do not pick up containers, syringes, needles, cosmetics or similar objects, made of materials such as metal, plastic or glass.
“This is particularly important as families are starting to prepare for their children’s summer holidays and so I am asking that people are extra vigilant. To be clear: do not pick up anything that you haven’t dropped yourself. “
She added that “life continues” in Salisbury and Amesbury and the overall threat to the public “remains low”.
The areas visited by novichok poisoned Russian double agent Sergei Skripal and his daughter, Yulia in Salisbury in March, have been “cleaned” and “should be used normally”, she said.
Several areas in Salisbury and Amesbury remain cordoned off as detectives continue the investigation into the poisoning of Ms Sturgess, 44, and her partner Charlie Rowley, 45.
The pair were admitted to hospital on 30 June after falling ill at his Amesbury home and it was confirmed last Wednesday they had touched an object contaminated by novichok.
Mr Rowley remains in Salisbury District Hospital in a critical condition after mother of three Ms Sturgess died on Sunday evening.
On Tuesday morning a white Audi was removed from Swindon, about 40 miles from Salisbury, as part of the investigation into the novichok poisonings.
A red Ford Transit van Mr Rowley had been a passenger in on the day he was poisoned has been taken away for testing, as has a bus taken by the pair the night before they become ill.
Over the weekend a police officer took himself to Great Western Hospital in Swindon over concerns of novichok poisoning.
He was transferred to Salisbury District Hospital, where Ms Sturgess and Mr Rowley were, but was later given the all clear.
On Tuesday morning Ms Sturgess’ family released a statement saying they were “devastated” as they described her as “a gentle soul who was generous to a fault”.
:: Anybody with novichok poisoning symptoms should seek advice from a health professional and those with concerns should call the NHS on 111 or Wiltshire Police on 0800 092 0410.
From – SkyNews