Flights delayed after lightning strike at Stansted


Flights are delayed at Stansted Airport after lightning hit the aircraft fuelling system, leaving planes unable to refuel.

In a statement on Twitter, a Stansted Airport spokesman said: “Due to an earlier lightning strike the aircraft fuelling system was unavailable for a period this morning.

“Engineers have been on site and have now restored the system, however flights may still be subject to diversion, delay or cancellation.

“We apologise for the inconvenience and advise all passengers to check with their airlines for their latest flight updates.”

John Mann MP tweeted: “Nothing leaving Stansted this morning- fuel depot his by lightening apparently. Tankers on their way. Empty skies.”

Several passengers tweeted their frustration at being told to board planes, only to then sit on the craft for hours without take-off.

A streak of lightning illuminates London's Shard. Pic. Matthew Smith
Image: A streak of lightning illuminates London’s Shard. Pic. Matthew Smith

One passenger, Lorraine Townley, said: “@Ryanair if you know that you have no access to fuel and all flights from Stansted are delayed why make us board the plane to sit on here for hours waiting for you to fix the issue? It’s boiling hot and we aren’t even being given free water. Making more money off us!”

Twitter user Lozza shared a picture of scores of people waiting in the airport for information, and claimed she had been told nothing about what was going on.

She said: “No one about to offer updates, hundreds of us huddled together in departures, airport is boiling hot and looking at a minimum 3 hour delay. I think you owe us these pints.”

Tom Lewis wrote: “@Ryanair hey there pals! Can we expect any info on our 9am flight to Athens from Stansted anytime soon? The North Korea-esque info blackout isn’t fun.”

Antonia Bevan said she rushed through security and baggage drop only to find her flight was delayed by more than three hours.

She tweeted: “Huge delays at baggage drop, rush to get through horribly busy security only to find chaos reigning airside and flight 3.25 hours delayed…”

Vic Goddard said she was entering her fourth hour of delays and claimed Ryanair was selling snacks instead of giving out information.

More from UK

Donna McCafferty said she had been stuck in Berlin waiting for her Ryanair flight to return to Stansted.

More follows…

From – SkyNews


Comments are closed.