Boston Marathon Bomber Cries In Court


Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has cried in court after watching his sobbing aunt take the stand to testify on his behalf.

It was the first time Tsarnaev, who faces a possible death sentence, displayed any emotion since his trial began.

The 21-year-old wiped tears from his eyes and fidgeted in his chair as his mother’s sister sobbed uncontrollably.

Patimat Suleimanova was only able to answer questions about her name, her date of birth and where she was born.

After a few minutes, the judge suggested the defence call a different witness so she could compose herself.

As she left the stand, Tsarnaev used a tissue to wipe his eyes and nose.

Ms Suleimanova is one of several family members who are in Boston to testify for the defence during the penalty phase of Tsarnaev’s trial

His lawyers are trying to convince a jury that he should be sentenced to life in prison rather than be put to death.

Earlier on Monday, Tsarnaev’s cousin Raisat Suleimanova described him as having been a “very kind, very warm” child.

The jury also saw photos of Tsarnaev as a young boy, including one where his older brother Tamerlan carried him on his shoulder.

“Dzhokhar loved his older brother very much,” cousin Naida Suleimanova said. “As is the custom in our families, you would always listen to your older sibling.”

The defence has contended that the younger Tsarnaev was pressured into carrying out the deadly attacks by his radicalised older brother.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, was pronounced dead at the scene of a gun battle with police after his younger brother inadvertently ran him over with a car.

Last month, Tsarnaev was convicted on 30 federal charges connected to the 15 April 2013 bombings that killed three people and injured 264 others.

Prosecutors say he was an equal partner in the attacks with his brother, and have urged the jury to sentence him to death.

It remains unclear whether Tsarnaev will take the stand on his own behalf during the penalty phase.

He did not testify during the first portion of the trial, when the defence called just four witnesses in two days.